For me, the sound of Soil’s breakout single Halo, and indeed, the band’s entire Scars album takes me back to the summer of 2001.
Halo was tearing up both the charts and the dancefloor at the rock club my friends and I would visit every Friday night, the sun shone most days, and, at age 17, there was an optimism in my heart that I’m not sure I’ve ever fully felt since.
Writing that makes me feel quite sad, which is weird, because, despite its haunting and aggressive lyrics, Halo is certainly one of my happy songs.
I Am All Sins, And You’re My Reason For Life
It’s the kind of song that brings back that optimism, that brings back that sunshine, that maks me feel good and uplifted, motivated and ready for action. Above all else, it makes me feel alive, as though
Above all else, it makes me feel alive, as though I’m 17 again, as though the world is my oyster and I’ve still got the hunger to devour it.
If there’s a reason this song changed my life, it’s simply that.
There is no big, dramatic story. There is no single incident to which this song was essential. Rather, it was there during a series of incidental moments which, though they may not matter much in the grand scheme of things, still remind me of happy times, of youth, and joy, and optimism.
And if that doesn’t make a song important, then I simply do not know what does.
Halo by Soil is the 27th song on my list of 52 songs that changed my life. Other entries in this list are below:
- Michael Jackson – Bad
- Queen – Bohemian Rhapsody
- Queen – The Hitman
- R.E.M – Drive
- Pink Floyd – The Wall
- The Eagles – Take it Easy
- Beautiful South – Old Red Eyes is Back
- Coal Chamber – Loco
- Type O Negative – Everything Dies
- Monster Magnet – Space Lord
- Live – The Dolphin’s Cry
- Metallica – The Memory Remains
- The Prodigy – Poison
- Nirvana – Territorial Pissings
- Iron Maiden – The Angel & The Gambler
- Metallica – Creeping Death
- Pantera – Cowboys From Hell
- System of a Down – Sugar
- Guns ‘n’ Roses – Garden of Eden
- Guns ‘n’ Roses – Mr. Brownstone
- Metallica – King Nothing
- The Cranberries – Zombie
- The Offspring – The Meaning of Life
- Muse – New Born
- Biohazard – Resist
- Rage Against The Machine – Testify